- This event has passed.
Notting Hill Black History Walk
26 June @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Take this exciting interactive tour that explores the history of civil rights and Caribbean culture in the Notting Hill area.
The Notting Hill Carnival is only one part of Notting Hill’s rich history. Learn about the African and Caribbean pioneers; People who literally fought for equality and laid the foundation for modern multi-cultural London. Why does Portobello Road have that name? Where in London is there evidence of 3500 years of African civilisation? How is Kelso Cochrane connected to Stephen Lawrence?
his walk features:
- West Indian Freedom Fighters in London
- The White Defence League, Oswald Mosley and immigration
- Black self empowerment, economics and community planning
- Claudia Jones and the origins of Carnival
- Bob Marley, Diana Ross, Muhammad Ali, Marvin Gaye, Band Aid, Rhianna,where they hung out
- Shebeens and the Black Panthers
- World War Two, Windrush, Segregation and Gentrification
- Frank Chrichlow, Darcus Howe legends of Black British Civil Rights
- Race, Class, Gender, Literature, Science and much, much more!
Book your tickets and find out more.