Japan is a fascinating country with a rich culture and history. There are many things to do and see in Japan; you could spend weeks or even months exploring the country. Japan has something for everyone, from ancient temples and shrines to lively cities and stunning nature. Here are just some of the top attractions and activities you shouldn’t miss on your next trip to Japan.
Top 8 things to do in Japan
1) Bath in Onsen Hot Springs
Taking a bath in an Onsen hot spring is a fantastic way to unwind and relax after a long day of sightseeing. There are several public Onsen baths in Hakone. You can even find open-air private Onsen baths!
2) Visit Hiroshima
If you’re in the mood to spend some time in the country’s most historic city, you might consider including a visit to Hiroshima on your list of things to do in Japan. It is a picturesque place with a beautiful climate. In addition to its famous war memorials, Hiroshima is also the gateway to Miyajima Island, arguably one of Japan’s most beautiful places.
3) Watch Sumo Wrestling
If you are a fan of Japanese martial art, you can’t miss the chance to watch sumo wrestling in Japan. Fans cheer for their favourite wrestlers during tournaments and welcome them to the stadium with open arms. You can purchase tickets for a sumo wrestling match in advance from a convenience store in Japan.
4) Explore Kyoto
To experience Japan’s traditional way of life, consider a trip to Explore Kyoto. Gion, the old resting place for visitors to the Yasaka Shrine, is one of the prettiest districts in the city. You can explore this historic district in half a day and sample its unique culture at its best. Whether you are looking for a relaxing tea experience or a way to soak up the culture of Japan, the city of Kyoto is a wonderful place to visit.
5) Mount Fuji
A popular activity to do while in Japan is climbing Mount Fuji. It’s an easy drive from Hakone or Osaka, and it’s certainly worth a stop. The official climbing season for Mount Fuji is from mid-July to mid-September when weather conditions are moderate. Many visitors choose this period to climb the mountain, so check weather reports before you head up.
6) Bullet Trains
The most convenient way to travel throughout Japan is on a bullet train. During peak season, train tickets must be purchased ahead of time. There are many benefits of travelling in this fast mode of transportation. Bullet trains are hyper-efficient and timed to the second. They are so accurate that they are declared delayed if they are even one minute late.
7) Enjoy Japanese Cuisine
It is difficult to find enough information on Japanese cuisine, but there are many things to look for to enjoy while in Japan. One of the main factors contributing to Japanese cuisine’s popularity is the richness of the country’s seafood. Coldwater fish like tuna and salmon are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids linked to cardiovascular health and healthy ageing. You should also try miso ramen, a delicious noodle made with miso.
8) Visit a Shinto Shrine
A visit to a Shinto shrine is a must when in Japan. The shrines are often located in scenic areas, so you can kill two birds with one stone by enjoying the beautiful scenery and getting a taste of Japanese culture. Many shrines have been around for centuries, so they offer a glimpse into Japan’s rich history and tradition. The shrines are also a good place to pray or request a wish.
Helpful tips when visiting Japan:
- When travelling to Japan, be sure to plan your itinerary in advance and purchase train tickets for travel on bullet trains.
- Try local delicacies like miso ramen, sushi, other seafood dishes and traditional Japanese desserts such as green tea mochi.
- Be sure to visit Shinto shrines while in Japan and take time to appreciate the country’s ancient traditions and rich cultural heritage.
- If you are looking for a truly immersive experience of Japanese culture, consider taking a class or joining an activity to learn about martial arts or tea ceremonies.
- Take time to enjoy the many beautiful landscapes and scenic areas that Japan offers, such as Mount Fuji or the historic districts of Kyoto.
- Don’t forget to explore some of the country’s cultural sights, like war memorials, temples, and museums.
- Most importantly, be sure to stay safe while travelling in Japan by being aware of your surroundings at all times and avoiding travelling alone at night.
If you’re looking for things to do in Japan, look no further! We’ve put together a list of the best activities and attractions to keep you entertained during your stay. There’s something for everyone in this amazing country, from temples and gardens to food tours and festivals. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!